Not all main characters start out as heroes. Some become heroic over time. In my new release, Claimed By The Succubus, my main character is not actually a hero. I guess you can say he’s an anti-hero. He has his reasons for being the way he is. Reasons you may or may not agree with. However, it’s hard not to fall in love with the bad boy. And Shun’Uhl is definitely a bad boy, well, dragon. Today, I’m going to let Shun share with you, five reasons why he doesn’t believe in true love. Enjoy!
Five Reasons Why I Don’t Believe In True Love – From Shun’Uhl
1. On my world, True Love is only found between mates. My world has been at war for so long, most mates have either died in battle or were never born because their ancestors died in battle. You only get one True Mate. I believe mine died before I ever got a chance to meet her. Therefore, love is not in my future.
2. I’m okay with living a life without love. Love makes you weak. When in love, you not only have to worry about keeping yourself alive, you have to worry about keeping your mate alive. And if you lose that person, you’ll feel like your life is over. I despise weakness of any form.
3. Love is a distraction. I’m a soldier. I’m given orders. I follow them. I don’t have time for distractions. The safety of my people depends on me always having a clear head.
4. Love is contagious. Trust me, I’ve seen this for myself. When one of your friends find love, all of a sudden, they become cupid. They want you to find love too. They want you to be just as happy as they are. Some of us are content being alone. I’m content, just the way I am.
5. Last but not least, love makes you foolish. I’ve seen good soldiers make bad decisions because of love. Once you find love, you no longer put your people, or your brethren first. You put the one you love first. Your decisions are now based on what will make that person happy and to hell with anyone else. My first loyalty is to my king, then to my people. I have no room in my heart or mind for love. For those of you who do believe in love and who seek it, I pity you. To those of you who don’t, I salute you. Love is for fools. Don’t be foolish.
She is Izeria’Ahzul, the long-lost daughter of my king. She was raised away from our people and knows nothing of her heritage. Our kind are a myth to her. She doesn’t believe we exist and there’s no way she’ll believe she’s one of us.
I am Shun’Uhl, the soldier ordered to return her to my king’s side so she can marry a royal and produce an heir to save our people. To get her to trust me, I shed my beastly form and take on the form of someone she knows. I choose unwisely. The form I’ve selected is a male she despises.
The more time I spend with her, the more she comes to like me. And though I’ve tried to resist, I find myself falling for her also. Her feelings for me will change once she learns of my deception and sees how I really look. Part of me wants to complete my mission and return her to her father. Another part of me wants to remain in this form forever and spend my life with Izeria.
I have a choice to make: be honest with the female I love and risk losing her or lie to her for the rest of our lives. Unfortunately, the choice is made for me when we come under attack and I have to release my beast to protect her.
Now it is she who has to make a choice: Me and my beast or a kingdom?
My beast is trying to take over.
Even now, as I escort Izeria to the dining hall, he’s pushing against the barrier that separates drahken from dragon. He’s clawing at the barricade that keeps him inside. Moments ago, he came so close to breaking free.
I felt the fire behind my eyes, his light emerging. I heard his growl. Not only did I hear it, so did Izeria. She assumed it was my stomach growling in hunger.
Luckily, she’s too naïve to think the worst of me.
She senses something is wrong, yet, she doesn’t want to believe me capable of deceiving her, of hurting her. I should feel guilty for what I’m doing. I don’t. I can’t. Too much is riding on me getting her to my territory.
My beast snorts his displeasure, unhappy with our current mission. It’s funny how he can kill viciously, yet he frowns upon lying to our half-breed princess. I can feel him pacing the recesses of my mind.
In this form, he cannot speak to me. Right now, that’s a good thing. I don’t want to hear his thoughts on what’s happening. He’s no more innocent than I am.
He knew what we’d have to do when we found her.
He knew we’d have to lie or even kidnap her to achieve our goal. His feelings for her can’t change that. Nothing can change what has to be done. The lives of our people are more important than Izeria’s opinion of us.
When we arrive in the dining hall, I step to the side so she and her rodent can enter the room before me. I’m glad I did. The look on her face as she walks into the dining hall is priceless. It’s almost like she’s never been on a spacecraft before.
“This is the biggest dining hall I’ve ever been in. Not only on a ship, but on land also.”
She turns to me and smiles. For a moment, I forget how to breathe. I sense my beast’s pleasure, or is that my own. The line between what I want and what he wants is starting to blur. Not good. I have to get a grip.
Available on Amazon and FREE with Kindle Unlimited.
Hi, my name is Siren Allen. I’m a writer and lover of all things supernatural and romantic. I reside in southern Mississippi where I write steamy romances that are guaranteed to make you blush. When I’m not listening to the characters in my head and jotting down their adventures, I am busy working as a Clinical Laboratory Technician.
I love to travel, preferably with my husband, so he can do all of the driving. I enjoy time with my family, who are just as silly as I am. My hobbies are reading, writing and shopping, though I hate trying on clothing. If I wasn’t a writer or a Laboratory Professional, I would probably be a Secret Agent.
But that’s the beauty of being a writer. You can create your own world and be whoever you want to be. In my imaginary world, I am Queen and my siblings are my minions.
AMAZON AUTHOR PAGE – http://www.amazon.com/Siren-Allen/e/B00ELF795O/
WEBSITE – http://sirenallen.com/
FACEBOOK – https://www.facebook.com/authorsirenallen
TWITTER – https://twitter.com/SirenAllen
PINTEREST – http://www.pinterest.com/sirenallen/
SIREN’S NEWSLETTER: Join to stay updated on my new releases and giveaways:
SIREN’S GOODREADS LINK: https://www.goodreads.com/author/list/7163788.Siren_Allen
Giveaway Ends June 4th!
Enter daily for a chance to win a $20.00 Amazon gift card: